My photo
wheaton, illinois, United States
View Bill Voigt's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, March 20, 2006

New world problem, old world solution


Early this morning I click on my blog page and find that it's blank white. No error message, no "Page Cannot Be Displayed", no nothing. Tried from my other computer, nothing.

With a disgruntled sigh and a weary, pre-coffee roll of the eyes, I chalk it up to a 'Case of the Monday's' and begin looking at all the backend HTML code to find a weak link in the chain that I may have accidentally dropped in there which might have hosed things up.

Side note: anyone who has not yet seen the chaotic beast that is HTML cannot fully appreciate how painful it can be early on a Monday morning picking through a mountain of it looking for an undefined, elusive speck of dung that just might be jamming the gears. Here's a tiny smidgeon of the smelly stuff just below the surface of my pretty green blog. Now imagine wallowing through pages and pages of this:


dl.profile-datablock {
margin: 3px 0 5px 0;
}
dl.profile-datablock dd {
line-height: 140%;
}

.profile-img {display:inline;}

.profile-img img {
float:left;
margin:0 10px 5px 0;
border:4px solid #8b2;
}

#comments {


.....et cetera, et cetera.

After about 10 minutes of this I remembered how people used to fix televisions before plasma screens and high definition DLP dohickies. Back then they too were complicated beasts, not unlike the guts of my clunky blog. You didn't need to know anything about fixing them -- all you needed to do was smack the side and the picture came back.

Hmmm.

I threw out a quick blog post called TEST, pressed SUBMIT,

smack!

and I envisioned somewhere down in the depths of the Google empire in Irvine California one of the monstrous servers which serves as a cozy home for my little blog was jolted awake, no doubt with a brief milisecond of mechanical hard drive chatter and voila!, we're back in business.

You see? Sometimes the simplest of solutions yeilds the most complex of results.

.....We Now Return To Our Regularly Scheduled Program.....

6 comments:

Flake said...

If I only understood the workings of HTML. I tend to stick with the "compose" option with my blog postings. I accidently clicked on the HTML option of my blog and it really scared me. Hopefully, I will be able to take a class regarding such things while back in school. Good to know there is a Voigt with an understanding of such things.

bill voigt said...

Understand it? Ha. More like "know enough to get me in trouble". For me, tinkering with HTML is akin to tinkering with my car. I might change an air filter here or there, or perhaps dim the dash lights, but I'm deathly afraid of making any real adjustments or repairs.

Flake said...

My favorite computer fix is Ctrl+Alt+Delete, in extreme cases this may be followed by system restore. What handy tools to fix these glitches we often encounter in the technology trail.

Jim V said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim V said...

Unfortunately there is no compose mode for the blog itself, only the posts. So on my newest blog I've had to surf my way around trying to figure out what is what. It turns out that "/" does alot of stuff you might not expect.

Here's a simple fix for you:

My computer crashed at the office. Rebecca (3 yr old daughter) walks in and asks for "copies". This is code for me printing out coloring book pages from the internet.

"I can't sweetie, my computer is broken. It won't turn on."

"Hmmm," she says, hands on hips. She very seriously walks over to my desk lamp, turns it on, and says, "Try it now Daddy."

bill voigt said...

How cute is that?!